Job Description: Account Director, Healthcare/Life Sciences
The ideal candidate will oversee healthcare and life sciences clients that run the gamut from health systems and health plans to diagnostics and medical device companies. The candidate will work closely with the agency leadership to develop strategy, messaging, 100-day and campaign-specific plans. The candidate will conduct media outreach, oversee content strategy, writing and editing, create and execute social media and influencer programs, and work strategically with Greenough’s integrated marketing team.
The Account Director will be responsible for managing and mentoring a team of Account Supervisors, Senior Account Executives and Account Executives. The candidate will have an advanced knowledge of media relations, a strong track record for successfully placing client stories, and excellent writing and editing skills. The candidate will also excel in client relations and management.
As a primary client contact and day-to-day account lead, the Account Director is responsible for driving results and ensuring that account teams meet and exceed Greenough’s high standards when it comes to quality of work and client satisfaction. Success in the Account Director role requires a proactive attitude and the aptitude to recognize and act when an account needs to course-correct, such as when a program is not meeting client expectations, or a client lacks confidence or trust in the team. In these scenarios, the Account Director will be expected to collaborate with senior managers and rally team members to find and create an effective solution.
The candidate will also be responsible for contributing to the overall health and profitability of the agency through supporting team members’ professional development, growing existing accounts, participating in new business and marketing activities and overseeing account utilization and budgets.
- Six to eight years of agency experience (or the equivalent inside a healthcare or life science organization)
- Prior experience working with healthcare/life sciences clients (or relevant experience “inside”)
- B.A./B.S. or higher
- Develop and execute 100-day plans and campaign-specific plans
- Develop and execute metrics-driven media and content strategies
- Create and manage account management and reporting tools (e.g., PR dashboards)
- Manage and mentor Account Supervisors, Senior Account Executives and Account Executives, including conducting bi-weekly check-in meetings and annual performance reviews; work with senior management team to ensure accounts are staffed correctly and that team members are meeting expectations and professional development goals
- Oversee client engagement and communication
- Oversee media relations strategy and outreach efforts, including developing storylines to drive outreach and actively pitching media (industry, national business, broadcast, local)
- Write and edit compelling content, including Op-Eds, contributed articles, press releases, blog posts, messaging documents and social media posts
- Actively engage with clients’ customers and key opinion leaders as well as other healthcare and life sciences influencers
- Monitor metrics to inform strategy and program ROI
- Contribute to Greenough blog and other marketing activities
- Support new business activity and pitches when needed
Required Skills & Attributes:
- Strong media relations - direct experience working with healthcare and life science trades and mainstream business media preferred
- Team management and mentoring
- Excellent writing and copy editing
- Ease with complex concepts/technologies (genomics, precision medicine, diagnostics, clinical challenges, etc.)
- Team player focused on alignment of team and individual goals
- Well-organized and comfortable working with agency systems
- Compassionate and supportive